Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cali Trip

So all summer we've been stuck in Vegas pretty much. Andy traveled a lot for work this summer and we could never get away up until now. We just got back from a Southern CA trip and I have a ton of pictures to post as you will see. It will be overkill but I do it more for myself so I can look back at what we've done and Andrew really enjoys looking back at previous posts as well. We started our trip out in San Diego to take Andrew to Sea World and ended it in Newport Beach, it was a fun 5 days!

Ahhh Shamu, the star of Sea World. Andrew knew we were going to see "Shamu" and that was the purpose of this trip!

What he didn't realize at the time was that he would prefer to ride Elmo's Flying Fish than see Shamu or any other shows. This toddler park was the highlight for Andrew by far.

Talia actually enjoyed the excitement of the shows, not sure that she loved getting wet in the soak zones, but the rest of us did. It actually added a lot of fun to the shows (thanks for the advice Jackie!)

We got 2 day passes to Sea World but were dead after one day so we decided to go to Imperial Beach in Coronado instead on day 2. We set up a shaded camp so Talia could just hang out, take naps etc... and this is what it looked like.

This entire trip was planned as Sea World being the highlight for Andrew but this kid had more fun at the beach! I often have to remind myself that the simple things make kids the happiest! Andrew was in the ocean for hours on end and Andy and I would trade off with him but we couldn't pull him away. He LOVED it!

Andy was having some fun taking pictures of Talia while Andrew and I built sand castles, I just adore this little girl!

We stayed in the Gaslamp district in downtown San Diego at the Hilton and we really enjoyed just strolling the kids around at night because it is so alive downtown, and just fun! As you can see in this picture Talia is ready for bed. We definitely pushed our limits with the kids on this trip and poor Talia was pulled in every direction but she handled it like a champ.

We love frozen yogurt and Aaron had told us about how amazing Pinkberry was for some time now, we were lucky enough to try it for the first time and lets just say we had it 3 more times on our trip! Sorry Golden Spoon and Yogurtland, you have NOTHING and I mean NOTHING on Pinkberry. Now Red Mango...it's a toss up, you are pretty close, perhaps tied? I may just have to try you again to compare. Plain yogurt flavor with raspberries, blueberries, and mango's=delicious!

All over the gaslamp district there are bike cabs and Andrew spotted them immediately and wanted to ride one so here we are on the back of a bike cab cruising downtown. Poor Talia she missed out and slept for the majority of the ride.

We headed North to Newport Beach and once we arrived at the hotel, this little girl was ready to jump in the pool. She loves the water and just kicked her chubby legs all over the place. I loved seeing her so happy!

Here is Andrew outside on the balcony of our hotel room, he felt it necessary to talk to all the "people" (as he would say) walking by. He would have full on conversations with strangers, tell them his name, age, that he saw Shamu etc...I'd have to come out to see who he was talking to, luckily everyone was really friendly and found him to be cute.

One of our favorite spots in Newport is the Fashion Island mall. My parents would bring me here as a kid and I have fond memories of all the fish and jumping over the rocks to get to the middle of this pond. It's really cool to take my own kids to the same places I grew up going to. I love this mall because it was meant for kids, and dogs. We've been bringing Chica here since she was a pup and because she is allowed in every store. Dog and kid friendly places are my kind of places!

I just love this picture of Andy and Talia hanging out at the mall, seeing these two interact just makes me melt.

We got to the mall before it opened and that was a little annoying for Andrew so he took it upon himself to take Andy's keys and try and open up stores. Kids stores of course. Andrew has a fascination with keys and has become very good at unlocking doors. Unfortunately for him it didn't work this time around.

Last but not least, the carousel, did I mention I love this mall? Andrew was the first one to ride it and he rode it 3 times in a row he liked it so much.

Both Andy and I were able to take turns with him, and afterwards we went swimming again and then drove back to Vegas. It was so nice to get out of the heat and just unwind. Now this is one long post! More to come soon on Andy's first century ride and weekend in Utah.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel!!! im so jealous! that looks like the ultimate vacation!! soo fun!! Lovin Andrew's hair long and lucious. And LOVIn Talia... can she be any cuter??? crazy how fast these kids grow up. you guys are a cute fam!!

Jaime Lynne said...

You captured some beautiful moments in your photos.

You probably already know this but you can turn your blog into a beautiful book at blurb.com (there are other sites, too). I can't wait to have all those memories in my hand instead of having to read back through them on a computer screen.

Jaime Lynne said...

Oh, and I was also going to say that if you ever head to Inca Si Peru again, give us a call. We'll join you.

Staci Leach said...

So adorable, Your family is so photogenic! Looks like tons of fun was had by all. It goes to show you that Kids don't always have the most fun at the expensive places!

Amy Baker said...

Yay, I'm glad you're back in the blogging world. I'm also glad you guys were able to have such a fun trip to California. Your pictures were darling.

Anonymous said...

So Fun!!! Glad your back!!! The cyberworld has missed you!!

Galbasini Family said...

I am sooo mad at you. I wanted to see you. I am really not that mad, but I wish you would have called me while you were here. I am bummed I missed you. I looks like you had a wonderful time though. I am glad you went to pinkberry. That is one of our favorite spots.

chanel said...

whoa! this was AMAZING! You guys have the LIFE! My goodness! Andrew is really losing his baby face! he's looking like such a big boy all of a sudden. That story about him on the balcony is priceless- what a cutie-pie!